Sunday, September 23, 2007

Rubarb Puré

It has been somewhat of a mess in my head lately.
The simplified version is as follows
  • I want someone who does not want me and who is far away
  • Someone not so far away wants me and I was not entirely able to resist for a brief moment though I definitely do not want this person
  • This lead to the event of a someone (temporarily?) cancelling their friendship with me
I am currently handling this by watching the anime Honey & Clover, and getting involved in their fictional romantic problems instead.
Lovely way to deal.

I had an interesting conversation the other night (not in french, mind you) about being human. The person in question considers himself being rather nonhuman in many ways, and thinks this is a good feature. Me however, think in the same way, but try to surpress this. I know that love is nothing but a way for my genes to make me reproduce. I do however try to not think of it. I know that in fact everything, including having friends, is ultimately just another way to survive and eventually reproduce. These are just examples.
I don't know whether it is best to live in "denial", which is what I am trying to do, or to live aloof from the primitive emotions of humans. The latter alternative is probably not 100 % possible, but still.

What is YOUR opinion on the matter, dear friends?

By Gustav Klimt. I love this painting. Excellent example of my romantic side living in conflict with the logical cynical one.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Somehow many people think of the discoveries of behavioural genetics and think it's simply a load of crap or, even worse, that it is demeaning to the extraordinarily complex human nature. Needless to say, I think they're wrong in both cases. Those people think of themselves, of the wide range of emotions they happen to experience every single day of their lives and feel awed. Rightly so, I must say. That happens to everyone, I think. Then they think a bit more and come to the conclusion that there must be something big, something awesomely complicated behind such complexity. Again, they couldn't be more right. But...yes, there's a but. For some reason which is beyond my power of comprehension some individuals seem to have in mind a dichotomy which pushes them to think of such complexity in a purely metaphysical way, labelling it automatically as soul, this magical word which means everything and nothing, encompassing a nearly endless series of conceptions and beliefs, but which still escapes our comprehension, perhaps willingly so. Somehow the genetic explanation for behaviour appears to be to simple, which means they have no cognition of genetics. I can't think of anything more amazingly beautiful and breath-taking of the incredibly complex interactions between our genes which shape our behaviour, and I'm extremely happy to live in a period of great scientific discoveries. But my guess is that they are the ones who are living in denial. I suppose it's out of fear, although the reason for their fear escapes me. The genetic theory is too real, too close and threatening to them, so they find refuge in metaphysics. As to why evolution would favour such a choice as faith...well, I have no idea.

One thing is for sure. I don't think you're living in denial. You're just asking yourself whether acknowledging reality would mean missing something a tad more...spiritual, in your life. I use spiritual in lack of a better word. Think of Einstein. One of the most brilliant mind in human history, a man who completely embraced science and the changes it brought to reality, yet kept on feeling awed by it, by the complex mechanical, physical reality behind things. You could say he was one of the most spiritual individuals you could ever meet, yet in a very very very physical way.